It doesn’t matter if you are a wine-lover or not: accompanying broths and creamy or velvety soups with excellent wine makes for a better winter season!
After a cold day spent outdoors, skiing or walking in the mountains, for example, broths, Ramen, oriental soups, and creamy or velvety soups are a panacea. This is all the more so if the soups are accompanied by the right wine. So, which wines best accompany these dishes?
What characteristics should wines paired with broths and creamy or velvety soups have?
The method of preparation, the ingredients and spices used, and the texture of the dish are the factors that will guide you in choosing the best wine to pair with winter broths and creamy or velvety soups. Here are some tips:
- Velvety soups: often prepared with eggs, butter, or cream, these go well with young white wines with a moderate alcohol content such as Falanghina Campania IGT;
- Creamy soups: If made using flour, béchamel sauce, or potatoes, the soups prefer fresh white wines with a discreet body and acidity and a soft structure like a Vermentino di Sardegna DOC;
- Broth soups: when made with vegetable or meat broth or pasta, these soups go well with floral young white wines with a light body, like a Chardonnay IGT Vigneti delle Dolomiti;
- Velvety soups: when prepared with legumes or bacon, these are accompanied by a dry white wine with a good structure and more marked aromas such as a Lugana DOC (also perfect with tortellini in broth) or a red wine such as young Chianti.
Ideal wines to pair with soups
Soups come in many forms and flavours: those containing fish, meat or vegetables are generally characterized by a thicker texture than broths.
- Vegetable or meat soups prefer young, medium-bodied, slightly tannic reds with a fruity bouquet and moderate alcohol content, such as Chianti or Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Fish soups prefer to be paired with mature white wine with intense aromas such as Verdicchio or Pinot Grigio.
- With Soups with legumes or cereals are best paired with structured reds like the Barbera d'Asti DOCG Superiore.
The best wines to pair with tasty and delicious oriental soups are rosé wines or the Oltrepò Pavese Riesling DOC: these wines have intense and fruity but rather light aromas. For spicey dishes like Ramen, try a bottle of Loris Rosè Magnum. Spicey soups often have a sweet taste from ingredients such as coconut, a slight tannic note is what it takes!
Now you know about pairing wines with winter soups, you need only decide whether to bring a broth or a velvety or creamy soup to the table- and then accompany it with the best Giordano wines!